About this blog

Eaten Earth will be a location for occasional photos, thoughts about the state of the world, and updates on my roaming through Arctic regions.

The title: I feel as though our species is consuming the Earth. As a way of thinking about how to change that, I'll focus on one of the strongest, most culturally important, and most malleable ways we interact with our planet- the actual eating of its bounty. How people eat, what it means for them, and what it means for the Earth, will be an undercurrent to my entire travels. - Alex

Thursday, January 12, 2012

I am lucky

In case I hadn't already known.
Today a Saami lady from Norway invited me to help butcher some of her reindeer, and I may have found an opportunity to go to the Nenets Autonomous Okrug in Russia!

And I skiied for two hours on skis that a Norwegian lent to me. (Within an hour of my arrival in Norway back in December, I went for a walk and met a fellow who not only lent me skis for two months, but also took me that day to an (Ant)Arctic festival commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Roald Amundson's South Pole expedition!). And then I took a wonderful Finnish sauna. At 80-100 deg C, it was a lot hotter than the Russian banya, which reaches only about 40-50 deg C.

I was looking through some photos and found this one of a Greenlandic fisherman going to his boat in mid-September snow. I couldn't resist sharing it. What a place! What a people!

From We are not so big

No comments:

Post a Comment