About this blog

Eaten Earth will be a location for occasional photos, thoughts about the state of the world, and updates on my roaming through Arctic regions.

The title: I feel as though our species is consuming the Earth. As a way of thinking about how to change that, I'll focus on one of the strongest, most culturally important, and most malleable ways we interact with our planet- the actual eating of its bounty. How people eat, what it means for them, and what it means for the Earth, will be an undercurrent to my entire travels. - Alex

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Back to Russia

Well, I managed to hitch a ride on a sledge behind a snowmobile. It was the singularly least enjoyable mode of transport I've ever done. Sitting on a frozen reindeer carcass and empty fuel cans with a nervous dog in my lap, trying to also stay on the sled and not become frost-bitten from fierce cross winds in a blizzard. Somehow, I made it back to Hemmogiede, a small assortment of houses, stood on the side of the road for an hour in minus 25 C, finally hitchiked into Kautokeino, and caught a ride to the Jokkmokk Winter Market in Sweden, arriving at around 2 am I promptly fell asleep on a gym floor and woke up for 3 days of excellent Sami food, costumes, parties, etc. Now I'm in Oslo, on my way to Moscow, to meet the team for the research project CLUE (Circumpolar Land Use and Ethnicity). Sunday we'll fly north to Naryan Mar in Nenets Autonomous Okrug! Man I'm excited...

Here are a few photos from Finland, Norway, and Estonia...

No comments:

Post a Comment